Our mission is to use the Science and Technology Facilities Council’s (STFC) science and technology as the basis of inspiring public engagement.
The STFC community plays a vital role in helping us reach new audiences. Our grant programmes support high-quality public engagement across the country and build community networks and partnerships to help raise standards of engagement.
Grants you can apply for
Public Engagement Spark Award
This opportunity is open to a wide range of organisations. You can apply if you’re a UK organisation with an annual financial report and accounts.
Your project must involve at least one researcher in an STFC-funded area.
Your project must focus on an area within the remit of STFC including:
- solar and planetary science
- particle physics
- particle astrophysics
- nuclear physics
- accelerator science
In particular, we’d like to fund projects that engage:
- eight to 14-year-olds, and their families, from socioeconomically deprived areas
- groups considered to have low science capital
Projects can last up to three years.
Apply for a Public Engagement Spark Award
Engage the public with STFC’s science, technology and facilities: Nucleus Award
You can apply for funding to engage the public with STFC-supported science, technology or facilities.
You must work for an organisation that:
- is based in the UK
- has audited accounts
Proposals must include a researcher in an STFC-funded area.
Apply for funding to engage the public with STFC’s science, technology and facilities
Leaderships fellow in public engagement
Apply for a fellowship to increase capacity and capability within your organisation or community to engage the public with STFC-supported science, technology or facilities.
You must be:
- from the academic, engineering or technical community
- working within STFC’s remit
- based at an eligible UK research organisation
This award is annual.
Apply for leaderships fellow public engagement funding
Improve public engagement in science and technology: legacy award
Apply for legacy award funding to continue your programme to improve public engagement in science and technology.
You must have previously received funding through STFC public engagement awards.
Your previous grant must have finished within the past 36 months.
Apply for legacy award funding
Public Engagement Reaction Awards
This is an open funding opportunity that will fund quick-response public engagement programmes to:
- respond to emergent scientific discoveries and advancements
- deliver high-profile public engagement activities
- champion STFC science and technology and its impact on society
- interact with STFC’s public engagement and communication teams, including participation in STFC networks and events
Apply for the Public Engagement Reaction Awards
Before you apply
Ask the public engagement team for help before you submit your application.