Payments to students

Find out how much your payments are for the current and next academic year if you are a research student funded by STFC.


Payments to students

Maintenance allowance 2021/2022 2022/2023
Outside London £15,609 pa £16,062 pa
Within London £17,609 pa £18,062 pa
Industrial CASE* outside London £16,609 pa £17,062 pa
Industrial CASE* within London £18,609 pa £19,062 pa

* Industrial CASE & Industrial CASE-Plus also receive an additional £615 pa.

Payments to the institution (directly funded)

2021/2022 2022/2023
Maximum tuition fees £4,500 pa £4,596 pa
Research Training Support Grant £1,000 pa £1,000 pa
Conference fees and UK fieldwork £230 pa £230 pa

Industrial CASE and Industrial CASE-Plus awards

Non-academic partner contribution

The non-academic partner is required to make a financial contribution to both the student and the project. It must include:

  • an annual contribution to the academic research organisation towards the cost of the project: £1,400 (not applicable for SMEs)
  • all additional expenses, such as the cost of travel and accommodation incurred as a direct result of attendance at the premises of the non-academic partner
  • an annual contribution to the student: minimum £2,760 (not applicable for SMEs).

For Industrial CASE-Plus the non-academic partner will pay 50% of the student’s salary in the additional year; STFC will contribute the remaining 50%, up to a maximum of £14,250.

Withdrawal of the company

In the event of a non-academic partner withdrawing from the Industrial CASE arrangement, STFC will continue to pay the Industrial CASE addition of £615 pa to the student.

Disabled students’ allowance (DSA)

Disabled students who because of disability incur additional expenditure in connection with undertaking a PhD training programme, may be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). Disabled students who have been recruited to fill STFC funded PhDs should contact the disability adviser or named contact on disability matters at their research organisation for guidance and advice. Additional support may include funds for specialist equipment, non-medical assistance and general disabled students’ allowances.

You can find out more on the UKRI studentship page.

Research councils do not have set rates for DSA. However, research organisations’ Disability Support Advisers and others may find it useful to refer to the GOV.UK guidance on DSA as an indicator of the likely levels of funds a disabled student may require. The level of funds awarded will reflect the support the student needs to undertake a PhD training programme.

Last updated: 30 June 2022

This is the integrated website of the seven research councils, Research England and Innovate UK.
Let us know if you have feedback or would like to help us test new developments.