This programme promotes the UK’s expertise in the water sector and allows UK research providers and users to network and share knowledge.
Water is a vital resource for the everyday things that we do, from making a cup of tea to washing away waste to cooling the factories that manufacture the things we consume.
Water cuts across the whole of the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) landscape as a theme and a concern, and we make significant investments in research related to water issues.
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) is leading on business engagement for water issues across the UKRI councils and chairs the cross-UKRI water interest group. There is currently one key initiative and several key access portals that form a first point of contact in this area:
- NERC represents and coordinates UKRI’s engagement with the UK Water Partnership. The partnership promotes the UK’s expertise in the water sector around the world. Among the organisations involved in the initiative are: Severn Trent, Arup, British Water, the Met Office, Pinsent Masons, the Society of British Water and Wastewater Industries, WRc, the UK Water Research and Innovation Partnership, Innovate UK, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and UK Trade & Investment
- The Water Research Directory UK is a comprehensive searchable listing of individuals active in water research. It provides summaries of expertise including contact details. It is designed for UK research providers and users to network and share knowledge
- WaterR2B is a repository of case studies highlighting many businesses that are benefiting from the UK’s past spending on research relating to water
- NERC liaises with the UK Water Industry Research and other sector organisations
- NERC represents the UK on the governing board of the Water Joint Programming Initiative (Water JPI) on water challenges for a changing world.