The transforming construction challenge was funded under the UKRI Challenge Fund to accelerate the shift in construction in the UK towards manufacturing and digital processes.
The transforming construction challenge is an integral part of the Construction Sector Deal and brings together contractors, supply chain, innovators, government, clients and the research community.
The challenge targets included:
- projects delivered 50% faster
- whole life costs reduced by 33%
- lifetime emissions slashed by half
- productivity raised by 15%
The investments are based on three central challenges:
- moving to a manufacturing approach – from suppliers right through to site
- embracing digital technologies to provide assurance, efficiency of projects and performance feedback to design
- shifting to selling outcomes (what a building does rather than what it is) and maximising whole-life value of assets