Involving people in research and innovation makes it more relevant and useful for everyone. Our public engagement strategy sets out how we will break down the barriers between research and innovation, and society.
We have three goals:
- build a sense of shared endeavour by making research and innovation relevant and accessible to all
- make sure the benefits of research and innovation are shared widely by supporting collaboration and valuing diverse forms of knowledge
- create opportunities for all by inspiring and engaging the next generation
Public engagement includes any activity that seek to break down the barriers between research, innovation and society. This can include collaborative research, patient and public involvement (PPI), public dialogue, activity at festivals, museums and science centres, schools engagement, and much else.
- support culture change to make public engagement an integral and valuable part of research and innovation funding and practice
- invest in infrastructure and partnerships to build the skills, capacities and networks that enable long-term, meaningful collaborations between researchers, innovators and wider society
- support innovative pilots to find what works, share lessons and support the growth of effective approaches
If you have queries about UKRI’s public engagement support and activities, please contact our public engagement team.
Last updated: 16 March 2023