Although the UK has left the EU, you can continue to take part in EU funding programmes.
Horizon Europe is an EU research and innovation programme. It has a budget of €95.5 billion and runs until 2027.
The UK agreed a deal to associate to Horizon Europe on 7 September 2023.
UK researchers can now apply for Horizon Europe funding, certain that all successful UK applicants will be covered through the UK’s association (or through the guarantee) for the remainder of the programme.
All calls in Work Programme 2024 will be covered by association, and the UK guarantee scheme will be extended to cover all calls under Work Programme 2023.
Help for UK applicants
See our guidance content on Horizon Europe:
- why apply for Horizon Europe funding
- applying for Horizon Europe funding
- finding partners and collaborators for Horizon Europe
- contact support services for help with Horizon Europe
Euratom Research and Training Programme, 2021 to 2027
The UK intends to continue participating in the Euratom programme under the next EU spending framework.
Horizon 2020 was the predecessor programme to Horizon Europe.
If you already have Horizon 2020 funding awarded prior to EU Exit, in most cases it will continue for the project’s lifetime, even for projects that finish after 31 December 2020.
Payment arrangements stay the same, and UK participants can continue to lead projects. They still receive any:
- remaining ERC, MSCA or EIC Accelerator funding they’ve been awarded
- non-grant EU finance approved before 1 February 2020, for example, from the European Commission, EIB or European Investment Fund (EIF)
For help and advice: get in touch with your UK National Contact Point.
Keep up to date about EU-funded programmes
UKRI’s European office, UK Research Office (UKRO), is based in Brussels, Belgium. UKRO provides:
- latest information on UK participation in Horizon 2020 and other EU funding schemes
- an advisory service for subscribing organisations
The Innovate UK Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) Horizon Europe Hub provides:
- essential information on the programme
- newsletters covering calls, news and webinars
The hub is accessible to all types of organisation, including businesses, small to medium sized enterprises and academia.
Last updated: 19 January 2024