UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) India plays a key role in enhancing the research and innovation collaboration between the UK and India.
Since 2008, the UK and Indian governments, and third parties, have together invested over £330 million in co-funded research and innovation programmes.
The UKRI-India investment has to date resulted 258 projects, bringing together more than 220 lead institutions from the UK and India. These research and innovation projects connect academics, businesses and policy makers. They have gone on to generate more than £450 million in further funding.
Our office is based at the British High Commission, New Delhi. We work with other UK government departments and partners including:
- the British Council
- UK Science and Innovation Network, India
- the Department for International Trade
- the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office
The aim is to link interests to maximise UK-India research, innovation, technology and enterprise goals.
Fifteen years in India: transforming tomorrow together
In October 2023, the UKRI India team celebrated the 15th anniversary of our office’s establishment and 15 years of many shared successes with our Indian partners.
To commemorate our founding, we are excited to share with you our 15th anniversary brochure: Transforming tomorrow together, celebrating 15 years of UKRI India.
Our brochure highlights how UKRI India and our partners continuously foster and strengthen research collaboration so that we can transform tomorrow together.
Partnerships for growth
A report, backed up by independent research from Elsevier, lays bare the impact of UKRI India in enhancing the UK-India research and innovation relationship.
UKRI India funded projects have:
- featured in 1,665 publications, as indexed in Scopus
- had an average field-weighted impact citation of 2.2, twice the global average
- resulted in the development of over 200 technical products
Engaging with India
UKRI India is actively engaged with India’s major public-sector research and innovation funders.
These include the:
- Department of Atomic Energy (DAE)
- Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
- Department of Science and Technology (DST)
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR)
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
- Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR)
- Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES)
Find funding opportunities
If you’re a researcher or business in the UK or India, we run some international opportunities that you may be eligible for. Opportunities to look out for include:
- schemes to support international research collaborations
- innovation support for businesses working with overseas partners
- exchanges and networking schemes for doctoral students and researchers
Get travel information
GOV.UK has the latest information for researchers and innovators who travel between India and the UK.
You can also find out more about getting a visa to work on research in the UK.
We can help with information and advice to support research and innovation collaborations. If you are a researcher or business that wants to find out more, you can contact us.
British High Commission
New Delhi 110021