Assessing the economic returns of engineering research and postgraduate training (PDF)
If you cannot open or read this document, you can ask for a different format.
This evaluation by Technopolis analyses the economic return to the resources made available for engineering research and related postgraduate training in the UK.
Some of the key findings include:
- engineering substantially contributes to UK economic output
- high concentrations of engineers are linked with innovation and competitiveness
- the UK invests around £10 billion to £12 billion in engineering research each year
- UK engineering research is world-class, and it translates into tangible economic benefits
- engineering research attracts substantial inward investments
- engineering research plays a key role in informing policy and providing solutions that lead to high social impact, nationally and globally.
Page last updated: 5 July 2022