People and culture are fundamental to research and innovation because they drive the creative and dynamic system that we need to support the community to thrive.
A positive research culture supports not just researchers and innovators but also the entire ecosystem which supports the research and innovation endeavour.
We strive to foster a system where everyone is appreciated and valued, that works for everyone, by everyone.
The role of UKRI
UKRI is uniquely positioned to catalyse efforts to improve culture, building on good work already under way, to connect up the whole system, covering multiple disciplines and cross-sector research and innovation.
Our approach in this area is multi-faceted and includes reflecting on our own systems and processes; how these systems influence the wider system; and how we can improve our understanding of how we can support the wider community.
Our main activities
- supporting the ongoing creation and development of positive cultures across the UK research and innovation sector
- building the evidence base of what contributes to healthy culture and the relationship between healthy culture and quality research
- raising awareness of the importance of research and innovation culture nationally and internationally, and sharing our work in this area
- spearheading a campaign to celebrate the diverse range of research and innovation outputs
- minimising unnecessary bureaucracy to free up researchers’, innovators’ and business leaders’ time and make our processes as efficient and effective as possible
- introducing the UKRI Résumé for Researchers, to support wider recognition of diverse contributions and career paths
- developing a multi-disciplinary Good research resource hub to help individuals, groups and organisations deliver excellent work and create positive environments
- work collaboratively with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on a ‘people and culture strategy’.
Find policies, standards and guidance on research and innovation culture in our Good research resource hub.
Get in touch
Contact us to find out more about research and innovation culture.
Last updated: 28 October 2020