We are seeking a range of investigator-led proposals from researchers working in engineering, physical sciences, ICT and mathematical sciences who want to apply their expertise to a defined healthcare challenge.
We particularly want to encourage research projects in line with our strategies and in the under-represented fields of ICT, mathematical sciences and physical sciences.
We would expect strong proposals to be working with clinical, business, charitable or public sector partners.
Your application should be in line with the grand challenges of our healthcare technologies theme:
- Developing New Therapies, focusing on the need to produce safer, more targeted treatments fit for the demands of the decades up to 2050 and beyond
- Expanding the Frontiers of Physical Intervention, the potential to enhance established techniques and develop pioneering new approaches to such intervention that deliver high precision, minimal invasiveness and maximum impact
- Transforming Health and Care Beyond the Hospital, meeting the need for novel technologies that enable timely interventions beyond hospital settings and help people manage their own physical and mental health
- Optimising Disease Prediction, Diagnosis and Intervention, addressing both physical and mental health with techniques that optimise patient-specific illness prediction, accurate diagnosis and effective intervention.
Find out more about the healthcare technologies grand challenges.
Your application should also show how you will advance any cross-cutting research in:
- advanced materials
- disruptive technologies for sensing and analysis
- future manufacturing technologies
- medical device design and innovation
- novel computational and mathematical sciences
- novel imaging technologies.
We are particularly encouraging research projects that seek to:
- transform community health and care
- improve prevention and public health.
Find out more about our healthcare technologies theme.
We fund a wide range of projects ranging from small, short-term grants to multi-million-pound research projects including:
- high-risk or high-return research embracing new concepts or techniques
- feasibility studies
- instrument development
- collaborative projects that cross different disciplines.
We will fund 80% of the full economic costs of your project. You may request funding for staff costs, equipment and other items required to carry out the project, costs related to impact, and travel and subsistence.
We recognise that the development of healthcare technologies is complex and can take longer than in other areas of research.
Your proposal should consider very carefully how you will maximise impact, and you are strongly advised to include a request for resources to support these elements of your work.
Find out more about our healthcare technologies impact and translation toolkit.