You must apply using the Joint Electronic Submission system (Je-S).
You do not need to apply to FNR as well but you should include the costs you are requesting from FNR in your UK proposal.
The funding you request from ESRC for the UK part of the project must be between £350,000 and £1 million full economic cost.
The funding you request from FNR must follow the relevant FNR funding rules. You do not have to request equal amounts from ESRC and FNR. The difference should reflect the variations in costs and local prices.
When applying, select ‘new document’ then:
- council: ESRC
- document type: Standard Proposal
- scheme: Research Grants
- call/type/mode: Research Grants (Open Call).
You must follow the guidelines specified in the ESRC-FNR lead agency agreement Je-S guidance for applicants (PDF, 294KB).
You should draft proposals according to the criteria in the international common application process guide.
The title field of the proposal must begin with the words ‘Bilateral ESRC/FNR’.
You must attach the following documents to your Je-S application:
- a case for support: this is an extended document that allows up to 5,000 words and should follow the international common application process criteria
- justification of UK resources
- a data management plan (if your proposal involves the generation of data)
- CVs for all named researchers, both UK and Luxembourg-based: each CV should be no more than two pages long.
Luxembourg researchers should also complete the following as additional Je-S attachments (all available on the FNR website) and pass them onto their UK principal investigator to upload to the proposal:
- an FNR project plan form
- an FNR budget spreadsheet
- an FNR justification of costs form (for costs being requested from FNR).
You can find further information on submitting an ESRC-FNR bilateral proposal in the Je-S guidance (PDF, 294KB).
You can also find advice on completing your application in the Je-S handbook.
If you need further help, you can contact the Je-S help desk on 01793 444164 or by emailing email@example.com.
There is no application deadline and you can submit proposals to this call at any time. We will accept proposals on an ongoing basis until the UKRI-FNR agreement expires on 4 June 2022.