The coronavirus pandemic means there have been changes to funding deadlines, extensions and support.
If you’re applying for funding, see the relevant funding opportunity page for information about deadlines, extensions, and any other changes.
If you already have a research or fellowship grant, you can request a ‘no-cost’ extension.
Extensions for fellowships and standard grants
You now have six months to start your project, instead of three, if you’ve been awarded a fellowship or standard grant.
All grant letters for new UKRI standard grant opportunities will provide six months to start.
Extensions for strategic and managed mode grants
You can make a request for an extension for a strategic or managed mode grant through Joint Electronic Submission system (Je-S) via a Grant Maintenance Request (GMR).
Each request will be considered individually by your funder.
Submit your Grant Maintenance Request.
COVID-19 grant extension allocation
UKRI is distributing funding of up to £180 million to support research and technical staff whose projects have been disrupted. Universities and organisations are receiving COVID-19 allocations.
See further details about the COVID-19 grant extension allocation policy (PDF, 128KB)
Information for organisations managing the allocation
- Terms and conditions for the COVID-19 grant extension (PDF, 111KB)
- Q&A about the COVID-19 grant extension allocation (PDF, 376KB)
- Equality impact assessment (PDF, 279KB)
- Governance plan template for COVID-19 allocation (DOC, 46KB)
- Interim ODA report template for COVID-19 allocation (XLS, 31KB)
- Final report template for COVID-19 allocation – UPDATED SEPTEMBER 2021 (XLSX, 43KB)
- Guidance for grant extension allocation final report (PDF, 435KB)
- Additional COVID-19 extension allocation application form
- Additional COVID-19 extension allocation guidance
- Additional COVID-19 extension allocation final report form (May 2022)