We calculate formula-based funding for higher education providers annually.
Our calculations may include:
- the number of eligible academic staff at your higher education provider
- the amount and quality of research done
- the amount of research and knowledge exchange income your provider received.
We allocate funding on the basis of past quality and performance. Calculations are informed by:
- the results of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) for mainstream quality-related research funding
- financial returns to the Higher Education Statistics Agency for other quality-related research funding
- calculations using data from the Higher Education Business and Community Interaction (HE-BCI) survey for knowledge exchange funding through the Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF).
You cannot apply for funding or request an amount.
We will contact your higher education provider in advance about how much formula-based funding your organisation will receive for the coming academic year (1 August to 31 July).
To get a breakdown of how Research England funding is calculated, see our research and knowledge exchange funding 2020 to 2021.