All proposals for NERC grants (research grants and fellowships) must include a Case for Support.
Length and formatting
The maximum length of the Case for Support depends on the scheme type. The number of pages should be checked once the document has been converted to PDF format, before attaching in the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system.
It must be completed in single-spaced typescript of minimum font size 11 point (Arial or other sans serif typeface of equivalent size to Arial font size 11) with margins of at least 2cm.
References must also be font size 11 point.
Applicants should avoid the use of colour graphs or pictures, which will not be reproduced in colour in any hard copies used during assessment.
Any proposal in which the Case for Support does not comply with these specifications will be rejected.
Case for support contents
The Case for Support should have two parts:
Part 1 – Previous track record
- A summary of results and conclusions of recent relevant work in the technological/scientific area that is covered by the research proposal. Include reference to both NERC and non-NERC funded work. Details of any relevant past collaborations.
- Specific expertise available for the research at the host organisation and that of any associated organisations and project partners.
- An indication of how previous work has achieved significant academic or socio-economic impact.
Part 2 – A description of the proposed research
- Underlying rationale, scientific and technological issues to be addressed.
- Specific objectives of the project including their potential relevance to UK and international research work in the field, relevance to the NERC Strategy and anticipated achievements and outputs, including datasets.
- Methodology and approach.
- Risks and mitigation strategies.
- Programme and/or plan of research, evidence of access to required facilities, data, collections.
- Management of the project and resources, identifying the training and career development opportunities for personnel working on the project.