Social media allows you to:
- promote your research and increase its visibility
- communicate directly and quickly with others who have an interest in your research
- develop new relationships and build networks
- reach new audiences, both within and outside academia
- seek and give advice and feedback
- generate ideas
- share information and links about your project – for example, journal articles and news items
- keep up to date with the latest news and developments
- follow and contribute to discussions on events
- be more personable than other channels.
You will need to invest some time in building a presence and sustaining your social media activity. Many people and organisations have social media channels that they have neglected. You need to engage regularly and be interesting for people to want to follow you and your research.