We are developing the Funding Service in an agile way, we will gradually introduce functionality and pilot new features and different funding types. After testing and user feedback, we continuously refine and enhance everything we do.
We are building core capability first and continuously developing it to address any issues and enhance the service we provide. As we develop the core capability and launch opportunities, users will see a steady improvement in functionality and quality of experience, even if the initial experience is not ideal.
Ultimately, the Funding Service will offer a simpler and better experience for all our users, operating a funding process which is supported by more consistent and robust policies and guidance.
Improvements in the Funding Service
The Funding Service will make a positive difference to the research community. It will address many of the issues of complexity and unnecessary bureaucracy recognised by researchers, and which have been identified in various reviews of research funding such as the independent review into research bureaucracy. For example, some of the improvements our users will get include:
- a single front door: each opportunity made available through the same site and approached in consistent ways
- a clearer layout for applications, structured around questions that relate to the criteria used for deciding on an application
- an application process that asks only for the information we need to decide on an application
- an application process that asks for information once and uses this information again if needed later in the grant funding journey
- more consistent guidance to help applicants at the point of the process where that guidance applies
- an easier review process as the application questions link more directly to assessment criteria
- greater consistency across UKRI opportunities with standardised application questions and assessment criteria
We have already improved some areas in response to user feedback, including:
- enhancing the organisation search facility when inviting other collaborators
- better visibility of expert review status and statistics
- additional features added to the rich text editor when writing an application
- improvements to how users can view an application, so that they can see the full question asked and the guidance that supports it