How to apply
See the latest open opportunity: Future Leaders Fellowships (FLF) round eight, for information on applying.
Information about the FLF scheme
For round eight we have uploaded two pre-recorded webinars, one for academic applicants and one for non-academic applicants, to help them with preparing their application.
Webinar guide for academics
This webinar gives potential applicants an introduction and overview of the scheme while answering some common questions from the community. Potential applicants and those supporting them will find this webinar useful.
The webinar provides a scheme overview including:
- definition of an early career researcher in the FLF scheme
- key messages from latest rounds, including success rates and learnings
- updates for round eight
- information on demand management and the equality, diversity and inclusion statement
- key dates
- information on applying to the scheme
- how we assess applications and make decisions
- career development support
Webinar guide for non-academics
The FLF scheme supports fellowships based at businesses, charities and within the public sector, and fellowships working collaboratively with businesses. We have the flexibility to accommodate business needs and changes in circumstances.
We encourage all potential applicants from business and non-academic host organisations to read the FLF guidance documents and watch the webinar recording to prepare a high quality and competitive application.
The webinar includes:
- a recap of the FLF scheme
- an overview of the application process
- key changes for round eight
- in-depth run-through of application process and documentation
- information about the principal investigator response stage
- key dates for round eight
Webinar: Future Leaders Fellowships for businesses and non-academics: round eight
Business competition support webinar
A webinar was held on 19 February to learn about the FLF scheme, a flagship funding opportunity that supports the future leaders of research and innovation.
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) FLF has invested over £900 million since 2018 to support the careers of innovators and researchers working in business, third sector organisations, and academia.
Round nine of the FLF has £110 million funding available and will open for applications via the Innovation Funding Service on 29 February 2024.
The webinar included:
- case studies from current Future Leaders Fellows working in businesses and Catapults
- first-hand advice on the application and interview process from successful fellows
- tips for the interview process
- an in-depth run-through of application process and documentation
- details on development support provided to Future Leaders Fellows
How your application will be assessed
Your application for a Future Leaders Fellowship is first assessed by relevant independent experts, including members of the UKRI Talent Peer Review College. Candidates are shortlisted and interviewed by senior experts from across universities, research organisations and businesses, including members of the UKRI Talent Panel College.
Find out about the expert review.
You will find more guidance about this process when you apply through our Funding finder.
Find out more about how we make decisions about funding awards.
Ask us about applying
Last updated: 21 February 2024