You can apply for UKRI funding if:
- you meet the eligibility criteria – check your eligibility
- the funding opportunity is relevant to your research or innovation area.
Search the Funding finder for opportunities.
Find guidance on applying for funding
Applying for funding from UKRI is a major undertaking. We have guidance to help you complete and submit an application.
You should read all the relevant guidance before you start your application. If you don’t, your application is likely to fail.
The guidance you need to read is different for each funding opportunity.
Some funding opportunities will require you to read two sets of guidance. These are:
- the guidance that’s specific to that opportunity
- general guidance for applicants from the council you’re applying to.
Opportunities that require you to read both sets of guidance include:
- all innovation grants with Innovate UK
- most opportunities that focus on a specific research challenge or area.
For other opportunities, you will need to read only the specific research council guidance. These include most research funding opportunities that do not have a deadline and that are open to any research project proposal.
Find the guidance for:
It does occasionally offer other funding opportunities. If you want to apply for one of these opportunities you should follow the specific guidance published with that opportunity.
If you have questions about your application, contact the funding opportunity programme manager named in the funding opportunity.
If your proposed idea spans different research areas that cross two or more councils remit domains and you’re unsure about where to make your application, they can advise you.
Last updated: 22 December 2020