We recruit new members to our boards and panels every year in early September. We welcome applications from talented people from all backgrounds, and particularly encourage individuals from currently underrepresented groups to apply. These groups include women and ethnic minority researchers, and researchers with disabilities or long-term conditions.
Criteria for board and panel members
Applicants should be research leaders with expertise in the research areas identified in the vacancies for the year, and with wider knowledge and interests to contribute to discussions and help provide advice in other areas. We also require previous experience of peer review.
More details will be available when the vacancy opportunities are live in September, but generally applicants will need to meet the following essential criteria:
- a first-class record in conducting and leading internationally respected research
- a successful track record in applying for and obtaining major grant funding over a number of years (not essential for industry applicants)
- demonstrable experience in research related to the particular vacancy advertised
- a proven ability to exercise judgement across a broad spectrum of research and policy issues with a vision of the priorities and opportunities, not only within their areas of expertise, but also across the research board or panel portfolio
- experience of contributing to peer review processes
- an ability to work effectively within the public sector requirements for accountability and openness, and within financial constraints
- a team player with a commitment to the mission and broad objectives of MRC.
Time commitment for members
The amount of time spent by members on board or panel business is equivalent to about two days a month for all activities, including meetings and preparatory work. New board and panel members will initially be appointed for two years, and membership may be extended for a further two years following review.
How to apply
The vacancies will be published in early September on the UKRI board and panel vacancies web section , where you can also access the online application form. The application form is open for a minimum of four weeks. Candidates will need to attach a CV to the application form.
UKRI is Disability Confident Committed, and we will do our best to support any special requirements to enable you to apply and participate fully as a board or panel member, should you be successful. Please let us know using the email below if you would like to discuss any accessibility needs.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Last updated: 19 July 2022