Responsible for the award of fellowships and other personal awards and providing key mentoring support to Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) fellows. Members are expected to be well respected within their field and to have demonstrable interest in supporting career development.
Research Committee E will:
- undertake the peer review of fellowships and other personal awards, and applications for other people movement schemes according to BBSRC processes and best practice, and to provide recommendations for awards to BBSRC Executive
- provide mentoring, support and regular feedback to fellows through face-to-face visits and meetings, through the annual progress update system and attendance at fellows’ induction seminars and the biennial fellows conference organised by BBSRC
- provide input to BBSRC and its Strategy Advisory Panels and sub-groups on the recommendations it makes on the award of fellowships and other personal awards.
Research Committee E will also be represented on:
- Research Advisory Panel through the Chair of the Committee
- Fellowship Progress Review Group, reporting to Bioscience Skills and Careers Strategy Advisory Panel
- cross-council Fellowships Panels
- Training Grant Assessment Panels.
The committee meets twice a year:
- April or May – Fellowship annual progress updates
- October – Fellowship schemes interview shortlisting.
Additionally fellowship interviews involving members take place twice a year:
- November – Discovery Fellowships interviews
- December – David Phillips Fellowships interviews.
We aim to have up to 16 members (including the Chair):
- Roslyn Bill (Chair) – Aston University
- Nick Roberts (Deputy Chair) – University of Bristol
- Alexandra Brand – University of Exeter
- Lisa Collins – University of Leeds
- Shireen Davies – University of Glasgow
- Seth Davis – University of York
- Denise Fitzgerald – Queen’s University Belfast
- Anthony Flemming – Syngenta
- David Jones – University College London
- Erika Mancini – University of Sussex
- Helen Osborn – University of Reading
- Frank Sargent – Newcastle University
- Sean Ward – Independent industrialist
We currently have three vacancies (two of which are on hold at present).
- 12 May
- 6-7 October
- 10-11 November (Discovery Fellowship interviews)
- 8-9 December (David Phillips Fellowship interviews)
- 9 May
- 9-10 October
- 12-13 November (Discovery Fellowship interviews)
- 2-3 December (David Phillips Fellowship interviews)
- 10 May
- 17-18 October
- 15-16 November (Discovery Fellowship interviews)
- 6-7 December (David Phillips Fellowship interviews)
Telephone: 01793 413258